History of Winterton
The name Winterton is from the Old English (the language of the Anglo Saxons) Wintra+inga+tun, or “Homestead of the followers of Wintra”.
Holy Well, a small spring about one mile south east of the town by the side of Ermine Street, was considered a medicinal cure in the past.
For governance, the parish was in the ancient Manley Wapentake in the parts of Lindsey.
William the Conqueror granted Lordship of Winterton to Norman D’Arcy, whose descendants held it for several centuries.
In the 1086 Domesday Book, the village name is given as Wintrintune.
The long narrow plots, necessary to achieve a compact plan around the High Street, date from the middle ages.
Care of the poor dates back to at least 1728 when Richard Beck left an endowment for the poor.
The most famous person from Winterton is widely regarded as being William Fowler (1761 – 1832), a noted architect and builder. However, according to Jonathan Walker BA:
“I think we have equally, or even more famous Wintertonians than Fowler the builder: Neville Tong, cycling Gold Medal winner at the 1958 Commonwealth Games in the 1km time trial and, above all, Wallace Sargent, former Director of the Palomar Observatory in California and one of the world’s leading astronomers (he was actually born in Elsham but raised and schooled in Winterton).”Jonathan is a journalist living in Augsburg Germany, who was born and bred in Winterton and whose father, Alwyn, served on both the Parish and Glanford Borough Councils for many years and whose grandfather, George, served on the former Urban District Council.
In 1798, it cost William Fowler of Winterton eight shillings to travel on the outside of a carriage from London to Brigg. It took another 5 shillings to go by cart from Brigg to Winterton.
In 1801 the population of Winterton was just 773 — we have grown since then! The discovery of iron ore in the region and the subsequent development of the iron and steel works in Scunthorpe have played a significant part in the population growth.
In 1810, it took four days to ship goods to London by wagon.
Jonathan Dent, who died aged 91 in 1834, was a locally known man of wealth, who is buried in a large tomb in his garden.
After the Poor Law Act of 1834, this parish was part of the Glanford Brigg Poor Law Union.
A gas works was erected in Winterton in 1855.
On the first weekend of July the townspeople celebrate a mid-summer show, a tradition dating back more than 100 years.
At one time during Winterton’s history all unemployed men had to break up slag brought in from Scunthorpe. They were paid between one shilling and six pence to two shillings per day. In today’s money that’s around seven and a half pence to ten pence per day.
In 1893 there was an outbreak of smallpox in Winterton and, ironically, among the resulting fatalities was the person responsible for recording births, deaths and marriages.
The regional headquarters of the Lincolnshire Constabulary moved from Winterton to Scunthorpe in 1895.
On 2nd May 1903 it was reported in the Lindsey and Lincolnshire Star that a Dr Worboys was the first person in Winterton to purchase a car. It was for use in his professional duties and was reportedly seen “scorching along the road”.
In 1925, motor buses began making daily trips from Winterton to Scunthorpe.
All Saints Church dates from at least the first half of the eleventh century. The lower part of the tower was built in Anglo Saxon times and a priest is mentioned in the Domesday Book.
Much of the rest of the building probably dates from the early thirteenth century, with restoration work being carried out in the 1900’s when the tower’s pinnacles were added.
In 1899 a treble bell, cast by Taylor of Loughborough, was presented to the church by many parishioners and friends in memory of Revd. E.S. Wilson.
The Railway in and around Winterton
The Railway Correspondence and Travel Society has been identifying a large collection of railway photographs from the Beeching era. Winterton and Thealby station on the North Lindsey Light Railway is featured in this collection and you can click here to view them.
The photographs show a railtour as passenger services probably ended a long time previously.
This information was provided courtesy of Toby Clempson of The Railway Correspondence and Travel Society.
Local resident, Estelle Mumby, has been looking into the background of soldiers from the First and Second World War and their family history and has uncovered some incredible information. Some of Estelle’s work was published in Winterton’s local community magazine ‘Out and About in Winterton’ but Estelle has designed a new website, that details all the facts and information about these local heroes: http://wintertonremembers.weebly.com/